Saturday 6 August 2022

Aug 05, 2022, Cruising the Prince Christian Sund - Part 1

7:45am, look out the window as the fog horn blows, hmmm, something is not right. 20 minutes later, the horn stops and we look out to clear waters and ice bergs floating around, well this is more like it. Although a bit on the windy and chilly side things were looking up. Once we entered the Sund, the wind died down and the downstairs bow opened and coffee and Christian Sund buns were being served. Still a bit cool but sun and no wind, just dress accordingly. Today, we were on our return run, east to west of the Sund and with the commentary from Glenn Michael we had an amazing transit through this very picturesque narrow body of water, scenic cruising at its best.


I was everywhere on the ship today, upstairs, downstairs, outback, crows nest, worked the camera so hard that I exhausted the battery, ooops, I knew I should have recharged it fully. So, plan b, iPhone. Although not my preferred choice it did give me an opportunity to think out of my box, hey, I could be a human tripod and attempt to do some time lapse photos through some of the amazing ice bergs. I would say the captain and team had their hands full as we maneuvered our way through the Sund. I chatted with Glenn tonight and showed him my time lapse as we approached two very large ice bergs, regarding a conversation I had with a fellow guest, “are we going around these two or cut through the middle ?”. Glenn told me that they had the same conversation on the bridge and concluded that the only real option was to go down the middle and then turn to port. I’m happy to have decided to time lapse that portion, so running out of battery here was a good thing to force me to make this change. My FB and Instagram carriers this footage - still not sure how to imbed this on the blog. The day ended with the Polar Bear swim in the aft pool. I think there about 30 brave souls that jumped in the icy waters to make this claim to fame. Icy cold, yes, they poured about a dozen containers of ice in the water before calling names to have people jump in, brrrr, no thanks. Glenn was indeed one of there brave souls, good on him.


With the polar bear swim over we exited the Sund and into a fog bank, so once again like our entry, moments after we left the fog horn began sounding. Talk about perfect timing.


A few pics of our day here in the Prince Christian Sund, hope you enjoy…


Quote of the day, “Tourists don’t know where they’ve been. Travellers don’t know where they are going”. - Paul Therouxq











































No comments:

Post a Comment