Tuesday 14 October 2014

Beijing - Oct 13, 2014, Part 2

Part 2 of 3, includes the rest of our Wall pictures, I will say here that the day before we arrived Beijing was covered in smog, dangerous thick fog type smog. Overnight the winds came in a blew it all the way to Korea (Korea has complained to Beijing and China in the past), great for us as Moko told us how lucky we were to have such an amazing day. Next was off to the Zoo to visit the Pandas, cute. They have seven, four of which were available for viewing, two inside feeding and two outside getting some exercise. Is this the best environment for them, hmm, not really but it is safe as these incredible animals are very limited in numbers in the wild with breeding in captivity is looking to be the only way for this breed to continue. I am under the understanding that they are having a hard coping in the wild and this is why their numbers are down. Anyway, we were happy to get some great pictures of these large (larger than I thought) bears. The woman I am pictured with went crazy when she saw me and just had to have her picture taken with me, I mean she tracked me down and asked to take my picture and then was thrilled to be in it. Now I know how those NBA guys felt on the wall. I know you are asking why me, well I am tall and blond and yes white, so to her I guess I am as rare as the Panda.

After the Pandas it was off for a quick took at the Summer Palace. In a word, incredible and we could really have spent a whole day here - we had about 90 minutes. What we saw was amazing, this Palace was built by the Dowager Empress who was one of China's most fascinating historical figures (Google it). Interesting in that China does not have Google. Sunset here was spectacular and if we do have an opportunity to come back to Beijing we will spend much more time here as we only scratched the surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment