Wednesday 25 March 2020

In Transit, Australia to Los Angeles - Mar 24, 2020

Okay we board the 13 and half our flight to Los Angeles and we are not that happy with our seat location, the guy beside Jan, although he looks alright, he is not wearing a mask, many people are but again, many are not, we voice our situation to the attendants, after a bit of shuffling, meaning there was guy sitting alone in a three seat combo with him at the aisle. The attendant asks if it be okay if he switched with me and then Jan could have the window and I the aisle with no one between us, “No problem he says”, he is still on the aisle with no-one beside him and now the guy we moved from now has an empty seat beside him, so really good for all. This was all done pretty pleasantly given the situation. My only problem was now I have door to the washroom just behind me. This is fine but the washroom does get used all flight long so there is a constant slamming and toilet flush going on, not a great sleeping seat as I am sure, Seat Guru would rate this as. So everything is going fine for the first hour and a half when a women comes out of the washroom and passes out right beside me, she went down like a bowling pin, down hard with a thud, oh boy. You must remember the climate we are flying in, everyone gets on board and immediately gets out their lysol wipes and wipes all surfaces and then some, most have masks on, some with gloves (no not matching, ha ha) and this women just collapses. My knee jerk is to get up and help get her up, my, have a word with myself reaction is, why did she fall, is she sick, should I touch her, me, along with many other passengers we call and then yell out for assistance, yes there was one younger woman who did make an attempt at assisting this collapsed women. They get her up and she has this cold look in her eyes and I’m now thinking, this is not good, not good at all. She is now conscious but refusing the oxygen they are offering her. Her husband, in their foreign tongue convinces her to take her, she indicates that it is motion sickness, we later find out that it was a low blood sugar issue. To be on the safe side, Jan and I used the washroom on the other side of the plane. I will tell you that I was not alone in looking at the map of where we were in the sky at the time, hmmm, Brisbane is the closest spot if we need to land. My next thought is, they are closing off the airports and flights, if we are deviated this will mean a huge delay, we still may get trapped in Australia. Then I am thinking, I have to put this all in the blog, this is an epic travel nightmare. That said, the rest of the flight was uneventful (thank god), but because I don’t sleep well on planes at the best of time and with all the door slamming, I think I watched some 4 moves and other shows. I really enjoyed, “Blinded by the Light” and “Western Stars” - for all you Bruce Springsteen fans. But it was one of those flights when you nod off for what you thinks is forever only to wake up and see that you still have 9 hours to go, and then again and you still have 8 hours to go and this goes on and on all flight long. We finally arrive at the dreaded LAX. No Pics, sorry… 

No comments:

Post a Comment